Many of our members talk about the itch factor when living with vitiligo. Have you heard of occupational vitiligo? Well, there are ingredients to look for in products you use that can make you itchy. These ingredients can be contributing to the itch as well as triggering vitiligo patches on your skin. Not everyone will experience ‘the itch’ only people who are highly sensitive to the key ingredient below which can be found in many of these products. Some of our members use over the counter allergy medicine to control the itch. We suggest checking with your allergist to figure out your treatment options.
KEY: PHENOLIC & CATECHOLIC
- Do you put a band aid on and when you remove it your skin is red and itchy? (Adhesives)
- Do you process photos? (Photographic Materials)
- Do you work with cars and build houses? (Synthetic oils, Motor Oil, Formaldehyde Resins)
- Are you an exterminator? (Insecticides)
- Do you work in a print room? (Duplicating Paper, Inks)
- Other triggering chemicals: Cleaning germicidal detergents, disinfectants, rubber, latex, some soap antioxidants and some deodorants.